What is Delayed onset Muscle Soreness DOMS ? or the answers to the question “Why do I feel pain after exercise?” or “muscular mechanical hyperalgesia” or “exercise-induced analgesia“, “Muscle Fever” are given in this article. If you have done a strenuous exercise or done a long traveling or steep hiking after a long time of in activity or sedentary life. And you are feeling pains in your body. Suddenly you got a question in your mind that why are you having pains in your body after this stress? what are the causes of this pain and how can I prevent from these pain in future or is there any home remedy for this . To find answers of these question you are on the exact website of inoesis.
Why do I feel pain after exercise?
Pain after exercise is due to Delayed onset muscle soreness .Pain felt in muscles is basically DOMS. After some time usually hours or days due to strenuous exercise. It occurs at the bulk site of muscle. When you press the muscle you feel some kind of hard thing in muscle. Muscle movement is very painful due to DOMS.
What is Muscular Mechanical Hyperalgesia.
When you have developed DOMS this increases sensation of pain when you move your muscle in start. This feeling of high pain during movement is called Muscle Mechanical Hyperalgesia.
What is Exercise Induced Analgesia?
When you have developed DOMS and continue doing exercise on daily basis your pain increases in start. This increase in pain threshold also increasing your power to bear pain . This releases opioids in your brains which causes you to bear more pain and thus small intensity exercise induced pain is not later felt by your brain. This is called Exercise Induced Analgesia.
Why Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness happens?
DOMS happens because of microtrauma happening to your muscles after strenuous exercise. Whenever you do over capacity work especially lengthening exercises on your muscles the microfibers of actin and myosin in your muscles are torn which causes microtrauma . Microtrauma causes inflammation on damaged muscles. When you have inflamed muscle, it swells up, it has high temperature, it can be red and it causes pain. So DOMS happens due to microtrauma and inflammation.
When Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness Happens?
DOMS happens when you do repetitive strenuous exercise in which you have to extend your muscle up to an extent where your normal muscle activity does not happens. like if you are a doctor and did not do heavy work like that of labor and one day you have to do wok like labor where you have to pick and drop heavy weight for repeated times . Similarly if you have sedentary lifestyle and you plan to join gym. After first day you do 3 sets of exercise of shoulder muscles with each having 10 turns . In both scenarios your can develop DOMS.
After how much time Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness Develops?
Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) usually develops after 24 hours and peeks between 24 to 72 hours. If you continue your exercise than this would disappear after 7 days. However this time varies from person to person, muscle to muscle and exercise to exercise and also the environmental conditions.
History of Delayed onset muscle soreness .
Delayed onset muscle soreness was first described by Theodore Hough, an American physician in 1902. He said that microtrauma to the Z-line in sarcomere of muscle fiber is the reason behind the DOMS. History also prevailed some other reasons. Like it was said that DOMS was caused by lactic acid accumulation . But later studies did not proved this theory.6 hypothesis have been proposed for DOMS including Muscle Damage Theory, inflammation and Enzyme efflux theory, muscle spasm theory, lactic acid theory, connective tissue damage.
Lactic Acid and DOMS.
There is no connection between Lactic Acid accumulation in muscle and development of DOMS. This was old theory that lactic acid acid causes DOMS development.
Is Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) Good?
Yes DOMS is good for muscle health because it increases the capacity of muscle and also the pain bearing capacity of brains. This gives you a felling of relaxation along with more strengthened muscles.
Signs and Symptoms of Delayed onset Muscle Soreness.
Following are the signs and symptoms of DOMS.
- Dull, aching Pain with movement not at rest
- decreased muscle strength
- reduced range of motion
- muscle swelling
Prevention of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)
Well there are a lot of ways by using them you can decrease the chances of DOMS . Some of them I would like to share here. Remember when you have not developed DOMS. Prevention id required at that time. If you know that it is going to happen than you should prevent it before happening.
- Limit the length of Lengthening muscle extensions during exercise. For example if you stretch your biceps muscle to 180 degree and that causes more soreness than you should reduce it to 90 or 110 degree. That would help you a lot.
- Whole body Vibration therapy before exercise.
- Consumption of saffron
- Gradually Increasing the intensity of exercise .
- Continuing exercise for at least 7 days.
What Does Not Decreases chances of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.
Following Things have no role with treating DOMS and these all thing are research based.
- Wearing compression dresses.
- Static stretching muscles before exercise.
- Warming up muscles before exercise with heat of any source.
- cold of ice therapy for DOMS
- cryotherapy does not have any effect.
- Hemp oil (CBD) oil for DOMS
- Homeopathy for DOMS
- Ultrasound for Muscle Ache
- Electrical current for DOMS
Treatment Of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness
A lot of treatment options are available . Treatment options include non-pharmacological and Pharmacological . Before treatment your should keep in mind that treatment is needed when you have developed DOMS.
Non Pharmacological treatment of Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS)
- continuing same exercise for 7 days
- low intensity of exercise
- Nerve Mobilization
- Hot Bath
- increase water intake.
- Take some rest after exercise.
Pharmacological treatment of Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS)
- Ibuprofen is best for the treatment of DOMS . It is anti-inflammatory medicine that prevents development of inflammation and reduces pain . But remember that ibuprofen does not decreases some affects like improvement of range of motion of muscle.
- Menthol Based topical Analgesics These topical analgesics basically stimulates nerves which inhibits pains at spinal cord level thus prevents pain transmission from muscle to the brain.
- Arnica compound containing medicines.
When To Seek Doctor When you Have DOMS.
If you have developed DOMS. You want to seek medical advice. Then you should keep following point in your mind before visiting a doctor.
- Too much Dark Urine.
- Pain in both side of flanks where kidneys are present.
- Pain lasting more than 7 days.
- Sever swelling and pain in muscle that is not bearable.
- Pain near joint of that muscle because it could be Tendinitis.
Will DOMS Continue to Develop Every time i do exercise?
No DOMS is an adaption process and when you once got it in a muscle it does not develops next time .This is only possible when you continuously do exercise. Doing exercise for 1 to 2 days and than not doing it would cause more DOMS.
Why I am having pain during Brushing my Teeth After Gym?
Its is because of Delayed onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS).